Tuesday, July 6, 2021

30-Day Writing Challenge: Day 6

 Today’s exercise is to write a found poem. It should be no more than a page and it shouldn’t use text from another source such as a magazine article, a book, a webpage, a blog post, etc.

The key, Sara Crawford writes, is to be creative in rearranging words and phrases. “Don’t worry so much about the art of poetry right now. Just focus on taking words and phrases out of context and arranging them into something new.


***************************

WRITING


Sophia, stop. 

Not too far now. 

This is my place. 


I find that hard to believe, Mikey. 

This is so sad. 

Yes, that’s exactly the sort of thing 

we’re talking about. 


You’re free to go, man. 

My house is the same as everyone else’s. 

In this world we find ourselves in,

Thinkers are in high demand. 


Chaos. 

You guys ignore your conscience. 

Enjoy your time here if you want. 

This is going to be a long trip. 


What is it?

What’s the problem?

We’re all just waiting for you. 

You know better than this!


Thank you. 

Okay okay. 

I’ve been alone for a long time. 


Me too. 

Chaos. 

I think it’s okay for me to be happy now. 


This is so great. 

We’re all equals here. 

How close are we to this bakery?

This is my place. 

Too late. 


You didn’t cause this. 

None of this is your fault. 

Who are you?


I don’t know 

I might miss this place. 

Might. 


I ended up taking lines from the most recent book I read, in this case The Walking Dead graphic novel Vol 31, the penultimate volume in the collected comic book series. I just thumbed my way through it at random, seeing where my eye would land when I opened each new page. 


I find it interesting that it can be made to make some sort of sense. Part of that was being a little less random in choosing my phrases, but rather finding the best thing that “fit” from each page that I opened at random. 


No comments:

Post a Comment