Saturday, July 9, 2016

A Mid-Life Summer's Dream

“I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream.”
--A Midsummer Night’s Dream, 4.1.204-205
------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                         

When I decided on a career switch from newspaper reporting to a teaching many years ago, I knew I needed to shift my professional perspective. How would I change the semi-anonymous introvert behind the notepad into a “sage on the stage”?

So as I waited to begin my college studies to become a teacher, I figured the best course of action was to work as a guide on a haunted hayride and to study clowning. I could think of no better training for controlling an unpredictable group and developing a fearlessness about making mistakes.

Now I’m 17 years into my teaching career. I’ve taught several different high school English courses, earned national certification, even taught a graduate college class. Yet still I find the need for new challenges to keep energizing myself and my teaching, and to refine my focus and perspective. This year may be my greatest challenge yet, as I work as an intern for the Saratoga Shakespeare Company.

This opportunity began last summer. After watching SSC’s latest offering, Love’s Labour’s Lost, I thought how great it would be to join them on stage. It’s always been somewhat of a dream of mine to be an actor, although I have no real experience. (Unless you count a junior high production of Donald Payton’s The Boarding House Reach. I played the protagonist’s father, Mr. Maxwell.) I approached SSC directors Barbara and Lary Opitz and Tim Dugan after the show about the possibility of them taking on a teacher intern. Already they train a number of college students each year in the on-stage and behind-the-scenes workings of a professional Shakespearean production. Why not do the same for a local teacher? Someone who teaches Shakespeare, but doesn’t specifically teach or work in theater? Someone like me. (Okay, actually me.) What could be more natural than putting a teacher on a stage? Already, I “perform” in front of 125 students a day. I do about five 50-minute sets of “standup” (as in I rarely get a chance to sit) each day, five days a week, 40 weeks a year. 

And they said yes!

It was only then, with my dream about to become reality, that I realized (gulp!) that the thought of being on stage outside the classroom makes me as anxious as a bookworm asking the head cheerleader to the prom. (Something else I never did. Although I did play a good bookworm in high school.) But it is this very anxiety that shows me I must do this. I tell my students all the time to dream big and to work to fulfill their dreams. Now, after reaching my half-century mark, I figure it’s high time to practice what I teach.

And so, for five weeks this summer I will be a teacher intern in the Saratoga Shakespeare Company. What does that mean? That means that I will be training daily with an ensemble of 13 college interns to learn the ropes of staging and performing a Shakespearean production. That means I will be taking the same classes learning about voice, movement, and other components of the theater. And that means that I will take part in one of these Shakespearean productions. (Breathe.) Our intern show will be a traveling production of the comedy Much Ado About Nothing. The intern production lands in Congress Park on Aug. 6 at 2 p.m.

Despite the anxiety, I am ecstatic about this opportunity that SSC is giving me. “I have had a dream,” as Bottom put it, and now thanks to SSC I get to live it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the Saratoga Shakespeare Company website at www.SaratogaShakespeare.com and like it out on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment